Friday, April 8, 2022

Pacific Rockfish, Easter Ordering, and New Recipes

 

Hey Y'all,

I hope I didn't trip you up too much last week with my April Fool's joke about seafood vending machines. Just the fact that mussel vending machines actually exist in the world is enough to make you believe anything! My favorite April Fool's joke was the year I announced in my email that, in an effort to more accurately represent my fish, I was going to stop using common names for fish and use only scientific ones - such as salmo salar for Atlantic salmon. My email filled up with complaints until people realized what day it was.
Passover and Easter Sunday
Passover is next Friday, April 15th, and Easter Sunday is April 17th. If you're planning a big meal for either of these, go ahead and get your pre-orders in and don't forget we are closed on Easter Sunday. Need some recipe inspirations for your Easter menu? Try these out:


Fin Mail AKA Tooting Our Fishy Horn
We received some great online reviews this week!

Alden H. says: The most amazing seafood store I have ever been to. All the workers are so nice and friendly.

Jill R. comments: Knowledgeable staff and great selection. They even have wine to pair with your seafood.

Also via email we got these nice comments about our employees. At Brookhaven, a fish friend wrote in to compliment Christian:
Was in yesterday to get some oysters. Christian was great. Asked if I minded waiting while he shucked them, said of course not. Bad thing was I ended up getting a ton of delicious stuff while I waited! He got everything packaged up and helped me to my car. Was very impressed -very nice guy. Keep him!
And from one of my oldest (longest) customers from Johns Creek who has since moved away to Blue Ridge:

I visited your JC location yesterday and wanted to heap praise on your staff. While they didn’t know me, they treated me like they did. A second customer walked in while I was there and they greeted her by name (obviously a local regular). I felt like I was in an episode of “Cheers”.

Anyway, when I got back to Blue Ridge, the James River oysters were OUTSTANDING! Small mussels and small littlenecks went directly into a pan of wine, butter and clam juice, along with a couple of secret ingredients. Superb! I try to plan a swing by every time I’m in town seeing customers. It doesn’t always work logistically, but it did yesterday and I’m thankful to have met you those years ago.

Thank you all!
Species Spotlight: Pacific Rockfish
In Seattle, this can be called Pacific Snapper but it's not a snapper at all! Pacific rockfish is the most common near-shore fish on North America's West Coast. It's an excellent white-fleshed fish for quick and easy meals and is a favorite in Asian and American cuisines. There are several varieties of rockfish, and while they may taste slightly different from each other, all rockfish are firm, lean, and mild-flavored. Because Pacific rockfish is somewhat of a "blank slate," the cooking options are really endless! It can be incorporated into ceviche or a bouillabaisse, or the fish can be simply baked, sauteed, or pan-fried and topped with a light sauce. Rockfish can be deep-fried and is a good choice for fish tacos, as well as several recipes that call for a white fish. Because of the flakiness though, it is not recommended for grilling unless you are cooking it whole. Here are some recipes to try this week:

WEEKLY SPECIAL 04/07 - 04/15
while supplies last

Rockfish Fillet for $15.99/lb



New Catch to Go Meal Kits
The new Catch to Go Meal Kits are going gangbusters!! Thanks so much to everyone who has offered suggestions and compliments. Two new meal kits are coming out on Monday: the honey jalapeno glaze comes with spinach and a corn and black bean salad. This was our all-time best selling Catch to Go when we paired it with salmon. You can always choose salmon but maybe there are some very interesting non-salmon options that will make this a favorite for everyone.

Also next week we are offering a delicious mustard sauce with roasted brussels sprouts and apples. I'm going to pair the Pacific Rockfish with this kit for my meatless Monday meal.

How about giving us a hand and providing some feedback on our meals? Would you mind taking a minute and answer just a few questions below? Your feedback is incredibly helpful as we develop these new recipes.
Have You Tried One of Our New Kits?
Yes, so excited about these!
No, but I want to soon!
Which One Is Your Favorite?
Balsamic Glaze & Oven Roasted Vegetables
Crawfish Cream Sauce & Cajun Rice
Lemon Caper Sauce with Oven Roasted Asparagus
Southwest Style Maple Glaze with Corn Medley
Are Any of the Kits Too "Something" or Missing "Something"?
Too Salty
Too Rich
Not Enough Sauce
Something Else (reply to this email)
And Finally,
We will be following the yellow brick road next Saturday, April 16th at the Johns Creek Easter Bunny Hop to sample one of our new ideas for spreads - it's an "Everything Bagel" flavored hickory roasted salmon spread. It's not in the stores yet but we hope to get good feedback from the Johns Creek Easter bunny. If he approves you may be seeing it very soon!

Enjoy your weekend. Take your allergy pill and get outside in this beautiful spring weather. Indulge your dog with a very long walk. Come join us for a wine tasting and pick up some seafood for your Saturday evening meal. We are looking forward to seeing you!

Blessings,

Kathleen

No comments:

Post a Comment